We All Make Mistakes
I remember years ago I thought I was pretty close to perfect – yep, I admit it, I had been in positions that I was the shining star and could do no wrong – at least not as much wrong as those surrounding me, so I had the warped perception that I was so right all the time – boy, was I wrong!
Even when we are right, it may not make the situation better by being so – I will always remember a great quote by Jim Zarvos – “do you want to be right or do you want your relationships to work” – very deep if you really think about it.
But let’s say we are wrong – we made the mistake. It’s how we handle it when we do make mistakes that sets us apart from the crowd. Here are a few steps to help make the situation better:
1. Deliver a swift response – don’t try to hide from it and hope they won’t notice or that it will just go away
2. Show humility and empathy for what the customer is experiencing
3. Accept your role of accountability
4. Provide an honest explanation of what happened
5. Make it right – or at least offer a solution and mend the relationship
If we would all take these five steps, not only will our business relationships be better, but all of our relationships will be better.